Degrees and Certifications:
BA History, Trinity University History Certification Social Studies Composite Certification
Mr. Kirby Whitehead
Graduated from South San Antonio West Campus High School and attended Trinity University, graduating with a BA in History in 1988. Started teaching at Bradley Middle School. Had the opportunity to open Driscoll Middle School in 1992 and then Bush Middle School as the Social Studies department head in 1998. Opened Reagan High School the next year.
Currently teaches World History AP, Model UN AP Seminar and Research, European History AP, and Modern East Asian Studies. Also coaches the Model United Nations team, UIL Current Issues and Social Studies teams, and Academic World Quest.
All students in both the World History AP Modern and the Model UN courses should download the following apps on each of the devices they plan to use for class:
- Microsoft Teams (Through Launchpad)
- Microsoft OneNote (Through Launchpad)
- Microsoft Word (Through Launchpad)
WHAPM Students, you will need:
- a blue/black/or purple ink pen for anything written that is then turned in.
- You will also likely want a pencil for quizzes that have an answer form that needs to have answers bubbled in.
- You will also want to keep a detailed notebook of class notes, reading notes, and assignments.
- However, I will not pick up this notebook and encourage you to use whatever notebook system that has worked for you previously. Meaning you can use a binder with dividers, you can have the whole binder dedicated to just World History AP Modern (WHAPM) or have it as a section of a larger binder. If you are having a binder just for WHAPM, I would suggest you get a 1 1/2 or 2 inch three-ring binder. You may use a spiral again, just for WHAPM or a section of a larger spiral.
- If you are a real notetaker, you will likely want to get a spiral just for WHAPM. Get a size you are comfortable using as it is likely that you will fill up the first one.
Model UN/AP Capstone Students, you will need:
- A WHITE Binder with a clear cover insert (1 1/2 in or 2 in)
FIRST PERIOD: World History AP Modern SECOND PERIOD: World History AP Modern THIRD PERIOD: World History AP Modern FOURTH PERIOD: Model UN/AP Capstone FIFTH PERIOD: Lunch SIXTH PERIOD: Conference SEVENTH PERIOD: World History AP Modern EIGTH PERIOD: World History AP Modern FLEX TIME (THURS):
WHAPM Reading Links
The following links are for the initial chapters as we await the issuing of the new text for this year.
Foundations of the Human Experience National Geographic: Go to this Sway
This abandoned East African city once controlled the medieval gold trade NAT GEO HISTORY MAGAZINE Go to this Sway
The Mongol Empire A statue of Genghis Khan in Tsonjin Boldog near Ulan Baator and Erdenet in the Tov province, Mongolia. Go to this Sway
KUBLAI KHAN’S REALM Grandson of the feared Genghis Khan, Kublai completed the Mongol conquest of China, founded the Yuan dynasty, and ruled history’s largest contiguous empire. Go to this Sway
Age of Islamic Expressionism Ch 5 The Age of Islamic Expressionism: The Middle East and South/Southeast Asia Go to this Sway