First Grade Unit: Colonial Times
Connect and Explore
Connect students to the topic and spark their interest in learning more
Investigate and Gather
Allow students to develop question/s of personal interest and have time to gather relevant information to answer the question/s
Encourage students to demonstrate understanding of the information gathered, and synthesize into an appropriate format
Share and Reflect
Allow students to share with an audience for an authentic purpose
First Grade Social Studies TEKS
(3) History. The student understands the concepts of time and chronology. The student is expected to:
(A) distinguish among past, present, and future;
(B) describe and measure calendar time by (days, weeks, months, and) years; and
(C) create a (calendar and) simple timeline.
(16) Science, technology, and society. The student understands how technology affects daily life, past and present. The student is expected to:
(A) describe how technology changes the ways families live;
(B) describe how technology changes communication, transportation, and recreation; and
(C) describe how technology changes the way people work.
(17) Social studies skills. The student applies critical-thinking skills to organize and use information acquired from a variety of valid sources, including electronic technology. The student is expected to:
(A) obtain information about a topic using a variety of valid oral sources such as conversations, interviews, and music;
(B) obtain information about a topic using a variety of valid visual sources such as pictures, symbols, electronic media, maps, literature, and artifacts; and
(C) sequence and categorize information.
(18) Social studies skills. The student communicates in oral, visual, and written forms. The student is expected to:
(A) express ideas orally based on knowledge and experiences; and
(B) create and interpret visual and written material.
First Grade English Language Arts & Reading TEKS
(19) Research/Research Plan. Students ask open-ended research questions and develop a plan for answering them. Students (with adult assistance) are expected to:
(A) ask questions about topics of class-wide interest; and
(B) decide what sources or people in the classroom, school, library, or home can answer these questions.
(20) Research/Gathering Sources. Students determine, locate, and explore the full range of relevant sources addressing a research question and systematically record the information they gather. Students (with adult assistance) are expected to:
(A) gather evidence from provided text sources; and
(B) use pictures in conjunction with writing when documenting research.
Technology Application TEKS (Gr. K-2)
(1) Creativity and innovation. The student uses creative thinking and innovative processes to construct knowledge and develop digital products. The student is expected to:
(B) create original products using a variety of resources;
(3) Research and information fluency. The student acquires and evaluates digital content. The student is expected to:
(A) use search strategies to access information to guide inquiry;
(B) use research skills to build a knowledge base regarding a topic, task, or assignment; and