First Grade Unit: Colonial Times
First Grade Social Studies TEKS
(3) History. The student understands the concepts of time and chronology. The student is expected to:
(A) distinguish among past, present, and future;
(B) describe and measure calendar time by (days, weeks, months, and) years; and
(C) create a (calendar and) simple timeline.
(16) Science, technology, and society. The student understands how technology affects daily life, past and present. The student is expected to:
(A) describe how technology changes the ways families live;
(B) describe how technology changes communication, transportation, and recreation; and
(C) describe how technology changes the way people work.
(17) Social studies skills. The student applies critical-thinking skills to organize and use information acquired from a variety of valid sources, including electronic technology. The student is expected to:
(A) obtain information about a topic using a variety of valid oral sources such as conversations, interviews, and music;
(B) obtain information about a topic using a variety of valid visual sources such as pictures, symbols, electronic media, maps, literature, and artifacts; and
(C) sequence and categorize information.
(18) Social studies skills. The student communicates in oral, visual, and written forms. The student is expected to:
(A) express ideas orally based on knowledge and experiences; and
(B) create and interpret visual and written material.
First Grade English Language Arts & Reading TEKS
(19) Research/Research Plan. Students ask open-ended research questions and develop a plan for answering them. Students (with adult assistance) are expected to:
(A) ask questions about topics of class-wide interest; and
(B) decide what sources or people in the classroom, school, library, or home can answer these questions.
(20) Research/Gathering Sources. Students determine, locate, and explore the full range of relevant sources addressing a research question and systematically record the information they gather. Students (with adult assistance) are expected to:
(A) gather evidence from provided text sources; and
(B) use pictures in conjunction with writing when documenting research.
Technology Application TEKS (Gr. K-2)
(1) Creativity and innovation. The student uses creative thinking and innovative processes to construct knowledge and develop digital products. The student is expected to:
(B) create original products using a variety of resources;
(3) Research and information fluency. The student acquires and evaluates digital content. The student is expected to:
(A) use search strategies to access information to guide inquiry;
(B) use research skills to build a knowledge base regarding a topic, task, or assignment; and