Connect and Explore - Scientific Breakthroughs
Introduction: Dress up like a scientist. Challenge students to name a scientific discovery or invention that they think has changed their lives, or lives for people in our community.
- To learn about three scientific breakthroughs you may or may not have thought about. They are vaccinations, pasteurization, and computers.
- To ask questions about how those breakthroughs have IMPACTED people.”
At each station students will view a video, write some key words, and read a short article about the topic. Record your thoughts on this SeeThinkWonder sheet…
- What words do you SEE? Do you know the meanings of any of them?
- What do you THINK (what do you already know) about what you hear and read? and
- What do you WONDER (questions you might have or things you want to know more about).”
Allow students to choose which Station/Table they will start at. Give them 10 minutes to do the activity at that seat. After 5 minutes have passed, have students rotate to the next seat and do a different activity.
This phase is intended to:
Connect students to the topic and spark their interest in learning more.
- Activate background knowledge
- Build curiosity
- Allow time for further topic exploration independently or in small groups
- Begin questioning