Degrees and Certifications:
BA History, Minor Art & Design
Mrs. Jessica Cardenas
Mrs. Cardenas' Schedule
1 Art II Honors
2 AP Art & Design (2D, Drawing)
3 Art II Honors
4 Art II Honors
7 Art I Honors
8 Art I Honors
Monday Morning 8:20- 8:50 am
Friday Afternoon 4:15 - 4:45 pm
I am a creativity encourager and a passionate art coach. I teach students to think critically, creatively, and reflectively. I also teach them how to observe more deeply, test visual hypotheses, use tools, explore processes to make visual solutions, and communicate! I strive to create an inclusive, collaborative, and welcoming class community where all are encouraged to learn and grow together, no matter what their starting point. When I am not dreaming up art challenges that inspire, I am talking to my plants (I swear, it helps them grow!), planning my next hike, bingewatching a documentary series on netflix, or scoping out cute dogs at the farmers market.
Favorite Quote Ever:
“And I asked myself about the present: how wide it was, how deep it was, how much was mine to keep.”
― Kurt Vonnegut, Slaugherhouse-Five
What students said about my class last year:
"I learned the proper way to shade. I learned that even if you are not good at something if you learn it you can become pretty good" - Amani
"My advice is even if you don’t like art just try you might like it." - Gabriella
"Something that I learned from my teacher is respect she made me want to be a nicer person and kind because she’s always really nice and kind to me so that makes me happy so I started to do it without even thinking about it." - Jose
"I learned how to blend and draw with colored pencils way more naturally than I did before I took the class and used those skills for an english project." - Benjamin
"I learned that art just doesn't have to be about drawing and coloring its more of like a family with all sorts of weird things" - Jose
"I learned so much this year, from plaster work to cardboard sculptures and how to incorporate myself into every art piece I make" - Jacob
"I learned that just because you make a mistake in your artwork does not mean that it is ruined. I learned how to have more patience and trust the process" - Madeline
The regular stuff:
11th This is my 10th year teaching Art.
I am a Texas State Graduate
I was a 2021/2022 recipient of a $5000 NEEF Grant used to create community art at Madison High School
I was President of the San Antonio Art Educator's Association from 2018-2022
I am the National Art Honor Society Sponsor at Madison High School
I teach Art I Honors, Art II Honors, and the Advanced Placement Art&Design courses for 2D Art and Design, Drawing, and 3D Art and Design
Supply Fee / Kit Information
ART SUPPLIES: All art classes have an associated supply fee. Payment is due September 8
For courses with a fee as opposed to a kit, students will check out individual supplies for the year and the fee will also cover high quality class sets of supplies as determined by the needs of the course. In classes with a kit, each student will receive their own individual supplies and any money left over will go to purchase high quality class sets for students to use. Students who do not pay their or and purchase their kit will have their names added to the obligations list. Those with financial difficulties preventing them from purchasing a kit need to make contact with their teacher to make arrangements.
- The Madison Art Department follows all NEISD District and Campus policies and rules. It is important for our students to follow dress code, the electronics policy, and all campus rules as directed by the district and administration.
- Please keep an updated email address on file as this is the most efficient way we communicate. Students, please check your school emails regularly.
- Safe and secure art studio rooms are our top priority! All students are expected to conduct themselves with maturity and respect for the learning environment, teacher, and fellow art students.
- Art course syllabi can be found on each art teacher’s NEISD Madison Website. Additionally, visit the Skyward Family Access for important information about your child’s progress and grades. Students were given paper syllabi to refer to as well
- Art contests and exhibits: There are many opportunities for student work to be shown. Information will be available to you throughout the school year.
- The Art Department sponsors a National Art Honor Society for upper level students. Art Club is open to all Madison students, including Art I students. The clubs both meet together on the same day and time, to be determined. We invite students to join and work together on fun projects such as school murals and more!
Mandatory Art supply cost per course:
Art I / Art I Honors $25.00
AP Portfolio (fee) $40.00
Art II Honors (fee) $40.00
TO PAY ONLINE visit https://neisd.schoolcashonline.com
Payment may be made in cash, check, pay online or money order. Checks should be made payable to Madison High School.
Please write the student’s name in the memo line on the check.
School Cash Online Instructions
Online Payment System
“School Cash Online”
https://neisd.schoolcashonline.com (Look for the orange sneakers). There is also a link at the bottom left-hand side of the Madison Homepage.
Register by selecting the “Get Started Now” icon and follow the steps.
After you receive the confirmation email, please select the “click here” option, sign in and add each of your children to your household account.
For Board name: type in “North East ISD”. Choose the appropriate school for each student.
Once you’ve confirmed your account, add your student(s) to your account to view and pay for school expenses. You should be prompted for this information upon login. This feature can also be located under the “Items” tab or the “My Account” tab.
Print a copy of the transaction receipt for your personal records. This information can also be found under “Payment History”
Mrs. Cardenas' Schedule
1- Art II Honors
2 - AP Studio Art & AP Studio Drawing
3 - Art II Honors
4 - LUNCH
5- Art I Honors
6 - Art I
7- Art I
Tutoring: Prior communication is required. Please e-mail me.
AM Tutoring - Tuesday 8:05-8:35
PM Tutoring - Wednesday 4:20-4:50