Welcome to AP Human Geography and World Geography
Phone: (361) 878-8459
Degrees and Certifications:
Texas Teacher Certification 7- 12 Social Studies from University of Texas at San Antonio B.A. in Geography and Environmental Sustainability from University of Texas at San Antonio A.A. in Liberal Arts from Northeast Lakeview Community Alamo College
Ms. Makana Plunkett
Travel the World And Learn That What We Have in Common Is Far Greater Than How We Differ
WHY GEOGRAPHY IS FOR ME?
I have always enjoyed traveling and learning about new places and people. So, when I was able to complete my education, geography was a perfect fit.
WHO AM I?
Real simple, I am a down-to-earth person who treats the world and those that occupy its space as significant. I teach because I love to see my students make connections with concepts they might not have ever considered. The 2023-24 school year marks my fifth year of teaching. I graduated from Johnson High School (NEISD) in 2014, getting my Associates of Arts from Northeast Lakeview College in 2016, then completing my Bachelor of Arts in Geography and Environmental Sustainability in 2018. The education I received in San Antonio is part of my reasons for wanting to come back to NEISD to teach! I have taught social studies at L.E.E and Winston Churchill high school students. I have a passion for social studies and am a strong advocate for geographic literacy.
I am beginning my 5th year at NEISD and I am excited to be part of the social studies team, teaching AP Human Geography (APHG) and World Geography (WG) at Winston Churchill High School. I have taught a mixture of levels of geography and world history in the past few years. Student teaching AP Human Geography & Pre-AP Human Geography before I was certified, then once certified, I have taught Honors World Geography, World History, World Geography, AP Human Geography.
I enjoy teaching geography and working with students as they explore the physical and human branches of the discipline. Today's geography curriculum is much more than memorizing maps and capitals; in our global environment it is crucial for students to develop a passion for learning about the world around them.
I am ready for another great school year!
SUPPLY LIST FOR AP STUDENTS ONLY:
- Amsco AP Human Geography 2nd Edition (if feasible- you can contact Perfection Learning $32.00 or use an alternative book buying location) if you have a friend in the class maybe share shipping cost. We can check one out to yor student. However, this is a paperback book and it MAY NOT BE WRITTEN IN and MUST BE RETURNED IN GOOD CONDITION. Just like in college, most students purchase a book, so they can write/highlight directly into the book. https://www.perfectionlearning.com
- 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch binder
- lined paper (we take lots of notes)
- 500 index cards (lots of vocabulary)
- blue or black pens (writing in class)
- 2 colored ink (can be any color for reflection)
- highligher (several colors)
- colored pencils (maps, etc.)