Degrees and Certifications:
B.B.A. University of Texas at San Antonio International Business I.T.E.S.M. de Monterrey (Bilateral Exchange Program) L.O.T.E. Spanish Texas Certified Kinder-12th
Alejandra N. Alanís Sánchez
Growing up in a proud Mexican American family I was fortunate to be exposed to my heritage on a daily basis. Dual language was a norm that sparked an interest at a young age to explore and understand the complexities of my background, culture and being. My journey started as a bicultural child to an exchange student 15 years ago. For more than 15 years I have lived and studied in Mexico at the Instituto Tecnológico de Monterrey, México studying International Studies and then as a teacher teaching High School, Middle and Primary grades in Cuernavaca, Mexico. I have developed curriculums for Kinder through 5th grades for the International Baccaularate program and taught at the High School level at my alma mater. I believe cultural awareness increases tolerance of others and in turn promotes acceptance and appreciation of our global society.
My travels have taken me as far at the Patagonia in Argentina to Chile in South America and parts of Mesoamerica. Being native of San Antonio I moved back with the mission to share stories of my excursions, insight on cultures in Latin America and my passion for travel with learners from Primary through Secondary. Being an International Business major I have always kept a close association with being a global educator and keeping an international perspective and with that I have experience teaching within the International Baccalaureate program. My professional background includes a B.A. in International Business, work experience in Marketing and Hispanic Advertisement and Education.
My mission is to share that:
Language has no color, no certain appearance, nor a particular way of being. Learning to approach diversity without a preexisting thought of who you are encountering is to teach a friendship between languages that embraces difference and compassion.
The Discovery of Language Acquisition
We learn through Communities, Communication, Culture, & Comparisons
Interpretive Communication and Reinforcement: Descubre Text curriculum, phonetic and alphabet interpretation. We learn through I Can statements of ACTFUL proficiency levels.
Country Units: The Arts, Culture, Customs & Music of Latin and Spanish Speaking Countries.
Presentational Communication: Through thematic topics of Spanish speaking countries around the world.
Interpersonal Communication: Partner practice through literacy & building a proficiency portfolio to increase fluency.
Real World Global Connection: through small groups, think & pair, academic conversations.
1 er. : 8:25 – 9:13 am IB / 2 do. : 9:17 - 10:12 am IB / 3 er. : 10:16 – 11:01 am IB/ 4 to. : 11:05 – 11:50 Conferencia / 5 to. : 11:54 –12:39 pm IF
Lunch/Almuerzo 12:43-1:13 pm
6 to. : 1:17 – 2:02 pm IF / 7 to. : 2:06 – 2:51 pm IB/ 8 vo. : 2:55 – 3:40 pm IB
You may reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org and can sign up Remind and Text 81010 for I-B (second half of SP I):@1bsnchz & I-F (full year):@1fsnchz for reminders.
NSJHS Meeting Dates
All meetings will be in the AM and if changed I will send a message via Remind
Sept. 6 / Sept. 27 / Oct. 18/ Nov. 15/ Dec. 13 Posada /Jan. 10 / Feb. 14/ Mar. 10/ Apr. 17/ Apr. 24 New Inductee Ceremony / May 17
Online Grading and Gradebook Grades
Our assignments are categorized in 6 different categories online. Of those 6 categories 5 are reflected in Gradebook.
- Tutorials: are not graded and are for practice
- Practica/Daily (20%): are graded. These are checks for comprehension of lessons. (about 8 grades every 9 weeks)
- Listening (20%): are graded. We have 2 every 9 weeks. These are listening activities to check for spoken understanding.
- Exam (20%): are graded. Will be taken online and if a student gets below a 70 will be able to retake. (2 every 9 weeks)
- Quiz (20%): are graded. Checks for individual lesson comprehension. (3 every 9 weeks)
- Interpersonal (20%): not graded online but I DO give 2 partner participation grades each 9 weeks. These two grades are based on how effectively you worked together and participated in spoken activities.
How we work this year
Monday & Tuesday’s: are dedicated to introduction of the lessons, I Can statements and modeling.
Wednesday & Thursday’s: are dedicated to putting into action our learning by means of visualization online and daily assignments/quizzes/activities.
Friday’s: are dedicated to building our Proficiency Portfolio by developing our essay prompts and reading our Reader Folders/Stories to each other to build our Fluency.
Grades and Percentages per 9 weeks and Semester
1st 9 wks average (40%) 2nd 9 wks average (40%)
Mid Term Exam Grade (20%)
3rd 9 wks average (40%) 4th 9 wks average (40%)
Final Exam (20%)
(Divided into 4 parts: Listening, Speaking/Dialogue, Essay/Written, 50 Multiple Choice questions)
*Semester 1 and Semester 2 average together for a Final Average for end of the year*
Instructions for accessing the Textbook online
Log into LAUNCHPAD. Look for the Purple "World Languages" Icon and click on it. Look for the white Icon that say "Vista" and click on it.
- Once in VISTAS
- Click on the CONTENT tab
- Click on the ACTIVITIES tab
- Make sure right hand upper corner says ALL ACTIVITIES
- You should be able to see all activities.
- Your tabs on the LEFT HAND side are all color-coded. EVERY Leccion/Chapter is the same for all. Make sure the LECCION drop box reflect the Leccion/Chapter. For example if we are in Lec. 1 the drop box should say Lec. 1.
- The RED Contextos tab is the introduction for each Leccion (Chapter.) This is where we take out Escuchar/Listening comprehension quizzes.
- PURPLE tab is the Fotonovela/Sitcom tab is the tab we will watch and answer questions pertaining to the novela. Travel with Marissa to Mexico and meet her house family.
- ORANGE tab is the Cultura Here we explore cultural topics.
- BLUE Estructura tab are our most important tabs. Here you have animated Tutorials for all grammatical lessons.
- GREEN Adelante tab are additional reading, listening, Flash Cultural, and Panorama videos and information. Use the interactive Maps online to explorer the places you might want to visit.
- Vocabulario/ Vocabulary can be found through the YELLOW tab located on the main frame for every Leccion/Chapter. On the CONTENT tab when you click on it look for the My Vocabulary Here you are able to see the Vocabulary presented in three modes. English/Spanish and Bilingual. You are able to hear the native speaker speak all vocabulary. This is an excellent resource to quiz yourself. The second way of seeing your Vocabulary is through the CONTENT tab. Under this tab is the FLASH CARDS capability.
- REPASO blue tab is the review for the entire Leccion/Chapter.
- Under CONTENT is where you can click on V text. You can access a copy of the text online here.
My goal is to extend time for completion of assignments and coaching is available on Mondays and Thursday before school at 8:00-8:20 am. Please come to morning coaching with questions ready.