Degrees and Certifications:
B.S. Elementary Education Generalist 4-8 MA Technology in Education
Mr. Joe Porter
My name is Joe Porter. I was born and raised in Cedar Falls Iowa where I attended the U. of Northern Iowa. I received a K-8 B.A. in Education. I completed my Masters in Technology from Lesley College in the use of Macintosh computers for education. Ironically, that summer my district replaced all Apple computers with something called a PC and I had learn something completely new to make them work!
On a personal note, I have two children with my wife, Stephanie. My son, Ethan, is 18 and entering the Engineering Program at A&M. My daughter, Ella, is 16 and a varsity swimmer at Johnson HS. They keep us very happy and busy!
This is my 31st year of teaching. About half that time was spent as a 5th grade teacher so, as a 6th grade teacher, I know how hard that transition from elementary to middle school can be. I began with 4 years in Kansas, took a year break to pursue other interests in Virginia, then returned to teaching in Colorado. This is my 16th year in Texas and I am still not used to the heat!
Please feel free to contact me anytime. The best way to do this is through my school email; firstname.lastname@example.org
I feel privileged to be your child's science teacher. Some goals that I have set forth for your science student are as follows:
- Questioning why something has occurred and forming an hypothesis and investigation (experiment) to explain/test the occurrence.
- Understanding the importance for safety in science labs.
- Learning to work appropriately with other student scientists in a partner or group setting.
- Keeping a science notebook organized, along with other materials for class.
- To have fun with science, remembering that safety is always the first consideration.
Mr. Porter's Daily Schedule (room D100)
We will be using an A/B Schedule for Distance Learning. A days are for odd # class periods, B for even.
Click the link below to see Lopez Middle School's A/B (odd/even) Virtual Learning Schedule