School Transportation Service
Provide students experiencing homelessness with transportation to and from their school of origin, at a parent or guardian's request. Provide transportation for unaccompanied youth through the Family Liaison. "School of origin" is defined as the school that the child or youth attended when permanently housed or the school in which the child or youth was last enrolled. Provide and arrange transportation through the District Liaison if the student is living outside the attendance area of his or her "school of origin".
Provide students in homeless situations with transportation services comparable to those provided to other students.
1. How does my child receive transportation through McKinney?
If you qualify for McKinney Services and move out of the attendance area, your child may receive transportation. Students are considered for transportation on a case by case basis.
2. How does transportation last?
Transportation will last only for the academic school year.
3. Are all grade levels eligible for McKinney transportation?
- Transportation is provided for students 1st-12th grade if you move outside of the attendance area but are still within NEISD.
- Transportation is provided for students 1st-12th grade if you move outside of the district.
- Transportation will not be provided for Kinder Students residing outside of the attendance area if they do not have an older sibling.
- Kinder students residing outside of the attendance area may only receive transportation if they have an older sibling. (Example Joe Doe Kinder,
- Jan Doe 4th grade) Transportation is not provided for Pre-K students residing out of the attendance area.
4. Who do I contact regarding McKinney Transportation?
Please contact the Family Support Services at 210-407-0750.
5. How long does transportation take to start?
Transportation starts within 3-5 business days.
6. Where does the bus pick up and drop off?
The bus will pick up and drop off at your residence only. The bus will not pickup or drop off at daycares or places of employment.
7. What happens if I have a bus routed to my residence and then I move again?
Please contact the Family Support Services at 210-407-0750 regarding the new address. The Family Liaison will verify the new address to ensure it is within the attendance area. If verified, then a new request must be submitted. The new route will take 3-5 business days to start.