Arts Integrationis an approach to teaching in which students construct and demonstrate understanding through an art form. Students engage in a creative process which connects an art form and another subject area and meets evolving objectives in both.
Why Arts Integration?
Arts integration is a teaching technique that enhances student engagement, promotes a dynamic class environment, and increases the chances of academic success. Studies have shown that performing arts-based activities help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, creativity, and collaboration skills. Arts teachers also acknowledge that analyzing and understanding art and its production builds various social and emotional learning competencies.
The arts integration techniques align with NEISD's Instructional Framework, The New Art & Science of Teaching. They are designed to help students learn and process information effectively. Learners who have meaningful, engaging, and positive experiences are more motivated to learn, reflect, and collaborate with others.
When students learn through arts integration, they are actively involved in building and demonstrating their understanding of the art form and the curriculum. This teaching technique creates a conducive learning environment where students can simultaneously learn and enjoy the learning process.
Our Goals Are To:
- Provide professional learning opportunities for all grade level teachers (EC-12) to bring awareness of the impact of Arts Integration in the classrooms.
- Deepen the learning cohort’s knowledge to implement Arts Integration practices within the curriculum.
- Offering support to dedicated campuses needs to increase student achievement and ensure student-centered instruction.
- Support the construction and demonstration of learning using different modalities that reflect evidence of learning.
- Create safe and productive learning environments that enhance and develop all students' attention, communication, reflection, and collaboration skills.
Arts Integration is an approach to TEACHING in which students construct and demonstrate UNDERSTANDING through an ART FORM. Students engage in a CREATIVE PROCESS which CONNECTS an art form and another subject area and meets EVOLVING OBJECTIVES in both.