About the Program
North East has two unique programs for gifted elementary students.
The primary program serves identified kinder, first, and second grade students in a pull out service model once weekly. These young gifted learners focus their attention on different types of thinking.
- Deductive Thinking
- Inductive Thinking
- Creative Thinking
- Visual/Spatial Thinking
- Evaluative Thinking
- Critical Thinking
Our intermediate program serves identified third, fourth, and fifth grade students in a pull out service model once weekly. Elementary students who meet the criterion for gifted education participate in our gifted pull out program once weekly. Our intermediate GT students focus their learning on:
- Systems Thinking
- Masterpieces and Mysteries of Mankind
- Eminent People and Philosophy
An intermediate GT student also has advanced experiences in literature, algebraic reasoning, Socratic seminar, and technology applications.
Beginning in sixth grade, students who demonstrate an educational need for GT services may participate in one or more of our secondary programs:
GT Math with a Science emphasis
- Curriculum acceleration in grades 6 and 7 to complete 6-8 Math TEKS
- Pre AP GT Algebra I in 8th grade for high school credit
- Pre AP GT Geometry in 9th grade
- Pre AP GT Algebra II in 10th grade
- Choice of Pre AP GT Pre- Calculus, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Statistics, or other advanced math courses in 11th and 12th grade
GT English with a Social Studies emphasis and specific course of study
- Discovery through Language in 6th grade
- Discovery through Community in 7th grade
- Discovery of Self in 8th grade
- Creation of Meaning in 9th grade
- The Power of Choice in 10th grade
- Discovery of America in 11th grade
- Western World Ideas in 12th grade
North East school for the Arts (NESA), a performing arts high school
New for 2017-2018, secondary students may also opt to participate in Interdisciplinary Studies electives at the high school level.