Library Procedure Manual
- Home: Procedure Manual
- Back to Library Services
- Budgeting & Ordering
- Collection Development/Reconsideration
- Copyright Corner
- Digital Resources
- Processing & Cataloging
- Professional Development
- Reading Promotion
- Web Training PDF
Barcodes - Printing and ScannersOrdering a New Barcode Scanner
Tech Services now coordinates the purchase of barcode scanners. You will need to place an order with your Principal's secretary. If you have any questions about placing an order please call 407-0574 or visit Tech Services pricing page.
CirculationHow to modify the end of year due dates (ceiling date) set by Library Services and set the date for summer checkouts if desired.
How to Access Student Checkout Information in Destiny
Use directions if a parent asks how to find out what a student has checked out.
Collections and Resource ListsCollections Set up
Resource Lists- Librarians and Staff can create lists of materials used in curriculum. These lists have call numbers to help locate items on the shelf. Students can create lists to create simple citations. Destiny Collections do not have call numbers.
ILL & Holds
Interlibrary Loan (ILL)
Interlibrary loan allows patron access to a more extensive collection of materials than would be available in one campus library. Within the district, librarians participate in ILL by requesting and loaning library materials. Greater access to resources promotes equity but also adds responsibilities for both lending and borrowing libraries.
Library materials may be requested and borrowed through the ILL process by all NEISD students, teachers, and parents. The lending librarian has the assurance that if material loss or damage occurs, the borrowing librarian will be responsible for either collecting funds or providing replacements using campus library funds.
Procedures to be followed by the Borrowing Library:
- Determine whether or not requested material is in "high demand", such as holiday, award or curricular item
- Follow Destiny procedures to request the item
- Monitor due dates of borrowed material so that they are returned in a timely manner
- Collect funds for lost or damaged material
- Make arrangements with lending librarian to provide replacement material if charges are not collected
Procedures to be followed by the Lending Library:
- Check to ensure that requested material is not in "high demand" (curricular item needed within the next few weeks)
- Follow Destiny procedures to check out item to borrowing library
- Send overdue notices to borrowing library if required
- Collect charges for lost or damaged item from the borrowing library
Videos for the procedure above **NEW 4/19
Request for ILL Checkout (Use this procedure when you receive the wrong item, but the correct title)
The purpose of inventory is to get an accurate accounting of the collection. Inventory facilitates the process of locating and shelving misplaced items. Inventory will take place between September 1 and April 30, not to exceed 10 days. The library may be closed during scanning of items, with the approval of campus administration.
Inventory is done every other year. Even numbered campuses will complete inventory in school years ending in an even number, e.g. 2019-2020. Odd numbered campuses will complete inventory in school years ending in an odd number, e.g. 2020-2021.
- Choose inventory dates and enter into the Inventory Schedule.
- Make arrangements to pick up barcode scanners from Library Processing, if needed.
- Follow the Inventory Procedures to scan your collection.
- Search your Library for Unaccounted For items.
- Finalize your inventory.
- Notify the Cataloger when the inventory process is complete.
- Items marked Lost during the last inventory will be discarded.
The documents below provide "How To" instructions for common tasks in Destiny:
Requesting Vendor Replacement (FollettBound ; BTSB ; PermaBound)
If you cannot log into Destiny through Launchpad, use the Staff or Tech user login at neisd.follettdestiny.com - see below:
Login as a Staff (librarian use only) or a Tech or user (used for substitutes, volunteers and student aides)
- Log into circ computer with Guest Login
- Navigate to URL neisd.follettdestiny.com; bookmark URL for future use (do not use "www" in the URL)
- Website has lists of all NEISD schools; Click on "Log In" in upper right hand corner (do not select your school in the list)
- Log into Destiny with your Staff or Tech login (NEISD Library Logins_PWs)
- Navigate to "Circulation" at the top for checking in/out items
Login as a Self Check user (for self check or student aides)
- Log into circ computer with Guest Login
- Navigate to URL neisd.follettdestiny.com; bookmark URL for future use
- Website has lists of all NEISD schools; Click on "Log In" in upper right hand corner
- Use Self Check login (NEISD Library Logins_PWs)
- Select your school (must do this after logging on)
- Select to check out by Patron or Homeroom (must find patron by student/employee ID)
Login with a Chromebook
- Select login with another account
- UN and PW provided via (NEISD Library Logins_PWs)
- Destiny launches automatically
- Login as a self check, staff or tech user before choosing campus
VDI Destiny catalog access without logging in for quick browsing
- Select Browser Option on VDI
- Click the black catalog button on your Welcome page
- Destiny Discover launches as a guest. Users must then log in to see their checked out materials
VDI full Destiny catalog access
- Select your hub
- Students log into the VDI with Active Directory credentials
- Select your school (if more than one is listed)
- Right click on desktop and select Launchpad (if verify password box pops up, select cancel)
- Follow log off procedures
iPad access for Destiny
- Student and Staff will login through Launchpad.
Lost, Forgiven and Damaged Items
Use the following procedures when a student/staff member has lost a library item.
1. Look for the item in the library.
2. Have a personal conversation regarding the overdue book with the staff member. Ask the staff member to look for the item.
3. If the item is not located, forgive the staff member by marking it Lost in Destiny at the end of the school year.
1. Look for the item in the library.
2. Have a personal conversation regarding the overdue item with the student. Ask the student to look for the item.
3. Send an Overdue Notice home with the student and/or call home regarding the lost item.
4. Keep the item on the student's account (do not bill the student in Destiny) until payment occurs or the library marks the item as Lost.
5. If the student is able to pay for the item, mark the item Lost with a payment.
6. If the student is unable to pay for the item, mark the book Lost and forgive the payment.
If an item is damaged, use the directions in the box for Adding and Paying a Fine.
Librarians must keep records of payments for lost/damaged books outside of Destiny and make deposits into the library's Campus Activity Fund (CAF). Each campus bookkeeper may have a different preferred method for deposit documentation. Below is a spreadsheet that can be used for record keeping (Lost/Damaged Book Deposit form). This documentation may be audited. The information entered into Destiny does not always provide an accurate reflection of payment. When an item is marked Lost, a pop-up appears on the screen to alert the librarian that the book has been lost and paid. Below is an example of a form used for documentation of a refunded book.
Directions and Forms
Mark Item Lost or Forgive Item (use this method if a refund might be processed in the future)
Adding and Paying a Fine (use this method if no refund will be processed in the future)
Refund for a Lost Book form example
Lost/Damaged Book Deposit form example
Overdue Notices (Notices - one or two patrons per page - to be handed out to patron)
Overdue Notices by Period Number (Notices - one or two patrons per page - to be handed out to patron)
Overdue Report by Homeroom and Period Number for MS and HS ** (Listing of names per period number - not notices)
Overdue Report by Homeroom for ES** (Listing of names by homeroom - not notices)
Manage Homerooms & Email Notices Setup Directions (email overdue reports to homeroom teachers)
Circulation Stats - Items (use this report when you need counts for item types; books, eReaders, AV, magazines). The report stats will be HIGHER because it includes in-library use scans not associated with patrons. These scans can be intentional. For example, you would scan items used by a class in the library. However, Destiny also counts an in-library use when you accidentally scan a book more than once. You can turn OFF in-library use under Circulation and Check In, but it must be turned off daily and resets after logout.
Circulation Stats - Patron (use this report when you need counts for patrons; staff, parents or grade levels). The report stats will be LOWER as it does NOT include in-library use stats.
** Homerooms in Destiny for middle school are the English teacher. Homerooms in Destiny for high school are the 2nd classes.
Titlewave in Destiny