History of the District

1949

NEISD is established

North East Independent School District came into being in 1949 in the reorganization of the Texas Education System under the Gilmer-Aiken Law.

1948-1949

NEISD Student Population Grows

In the 1948-1949 school census, the seven common school districts that now comprise the North East District had a total of 756 students. The number included in each district was as follows:
Blanco Road Common School District #6 with 17 students
Seay Common School District #7 with 57 students
Olmos Common School District #9 with 140 students
Lookout Valley Common School District #10 with 67 students
Serna Common School District #11 with 274 students
Salado Valley Common School District #10.5 with 93 students
Coker Common School District #50 with 109 students
The area of these seven districts was 135 square miles located in the northeast section of Bexar County.

August 3, 1949

North East Rural High School District #9

On August 3, 1949 the above mentioned districts were consolidated into the North East Rural High School District #9. On March 4, 1955 the district voted to cease operating as a County School District and to become an independent district operating directly under the jurisdiction of the State Education Agency. Home to ten campuses at the time, NEISD was located in the fastest growing section of metropolitan San Antonio, as evidenced by the tremendous population increase. For instance, the January 1948 census of 756 students ballooned to 15,800 students by the January 1961 census – an increase of 2100%.

1962

NEISD becomes the fastest growing districts

The estimated population in 1962 was approximately 80,000 people. NEISD was known as one of the nation’s fastest growing districts, as it adjoined the north side of metropolitan San Antonio, Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills. It extended from Fredericksburg Road on the west to include the Austin Highway in east Bexar County, a portion of the cities of San Antonio, Terrell Hills, and Balcones Heights; and all of the incorporated cities of Castle Hills, Hill Country Village, Hollywood Park, and Windcrest. The southern portion of the District was known to contain some of the finest homes in suburban San Antonio, while the northern portion was devoted to farming and ranching.

1965

New Campuses Added

The District scrambled to keep pace with the population explosion.  Twelve new campuses were added in a 60-month period that ended in 1965.  By 1965, the District had 631 teachers, 22 music and P.E. staff members, 11 elementary librarians, and 35 education staff members. By October 1967, NEISD had added Roosevelt and Churchill high schools and had grown to 24,434 students.  In 1971, a bond election passed to add 215 classrooms to the District, including four new schools and additions and renovations for existing facilities. Since that time, bond issues for new construction, additions, renovations and technology were passed in 1979, 1988, 1995, 1998, 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015. This represents $2.4 billion in the total amount of voter-approved bonds. For more than a decade, the District’s population has continued to grow -- from about 47,800 students in the fall of 1998 to approximately 67,800 in the fall of 2016.  

Today

NEISD - The Second Largest School District in San Antonio

NEISD is now the second largest school district serving the San Antonio area by student attendance. The suburban communities and farmland have transformed into a diverse and dynamic region in San Antonio. To this day, our dedicated teachers and staff, hard-working students and supportive parents and volunteers fully represent North East ISD’s Tradition of Excellence.