Degrees and Certifications:
Ms. Dana Marran
Hello! My name is Dana Marran. This is my second year teaching Social Studies at STEM. I graduated from the Univercity of Nevada in Reno with a B.S. in Education. I've been working with kids for over 10 years in informal education environments inluding camps and after school programs. I love our students and the passion they have for education!
Assessments and Projects- 60%
MAKE-UP WORK FOR ABSENCES POLICY
Work can be made up for excused or unexcused absences. Students will be allowed one class day per missed day to make up assignments, homework, projects, quizzes and tests missed due to absences.
- Make-up work for excused absences will be eligible for full credit. However, the student shall receive a 20% deduction from the total grade earned for any assignment or assessment not made up within the allotted time.
- Make-up work for unexcused absences will be penalized equal to late work. A 20% deduction from the total grade earned will be taken on make-up work for unexcused absences.
- For extended absences, make-up assignments shall be made available to students after two consecutive class days of absence. Upon request teachers will provide the assignments to students and inform them of the time allotted for completion.
- It is the student’s responsibility to obtain, complete and submit the missed work within the time allotted.
- Students will not be required to take a quiz or test on the day of returning from an absence if the test or quiz was announced during the student’s absence.
- After their return to class the teacher will make arrangements with the student to make-up the test or quiz within two days.
- All make-up work will be of the same rigor, but not necessarily the same format as the original assignment.
- Any make-up assignment that will require time outside of class should be scheduled at the teacher’s discretion.
- If the absence is anticipated students should make prior arrangements to collect or schedule make-up work times.
- After a prolonged absence, the teacher has the right to exempt a student from some assignments if the teacher determines that doing so will not have a negative impact on the student’s ability to master the content or unfairly bias their grade.
- No grade penalty shall be impose for make-up work after an absence because of suspension.
- A 20% deduction from the total grade earned will be taken for late assignment turned in after the assigned make-up due date.
Late work is defined as any assignment that is not submitted on the due date and class period with the exception of make-up work for absences or approved school activities.
- A 20% deduction from the total grade earned will be taken for late assignments.
- Late assignments will be accepted until the material has been assessed summatively or within a three-week grading period.
- In the case of extenuating circumstances occurring that prevent the completion and turning in of an assignment on the due date; it will be the responsibility of the parent/guardian and/or student to inform the teacher. The teacher shall have the authority to render an initial decision on the granting of any exceptions. The parent/guardian and/or student may appeal the final decision of the teacher to the curriculum administrator. The teacher and curriculum administrator shall have the authority to render a final decision on the granting of any exceptions.
ACADEMIC GRADING POLICY
“A” 90 – 100 EXCELLENT ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT
“B” 80 – 89 ABOVE AVERAGE ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT
“C” 70 – 79 AVERAGE ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT
“F” 69 – 0 DID NOT MEET ACADEMIC ACHIEVEMENT STANDARDS