The History of North East ISD

North East Rural High School District #6

AUGUST 3, 1949

On this date, seven schoolhouses scattered throughout 135 square miles of northeast Bexar County, combined to become the North East Rural High School District No. 6, courtesy of the Gilmer-Aiken Law that reorganized the Texas Education System.

The creation of the North East Rural School District No. 6 brought together 756 students. The common school districts had the following number of students enrolled: Blanco Road Common School District #6 with 17 students, Seay Common School District #7 with 57 students, Olmos Common School District #9 with 140 students, Lookout Valley Common School District #10 with 67 students, Serna Common School District #11 with 274 students, Salado Valley Common School District #10.5 with 93 students, and Coker Common School District #50 with 109 students.

MacArthur High School Opened


The North East Independent School District

MARCH 4, 1955

On this date, the rural high school district voted to become an independent school district and operate under the jurisdiction of the state education agency. Located in what was considered the fastest growing section of San Antonio, NEISD now had 10 campuses and the student enrollment had increased to 15,800 students by 1961.

LEE High School Opened


Families make NEISD a Fast Growing District


By 1962, approximately 80,000 people lived within the boundaries of the school district. NEISD was known as one of the nation’s fastest growing districts. Metropolitan San Antonio was to the south of the district, which adjoined Alamo Heights and Terrell Hills. It extended from Fredericksburg Road on the west to include the Austin Highway in east Bexar County, and included portions of San Antonio, Terrell Hills, and Balcones Heights; as well as Castle Hills, Hill Country Village, Hollywood Park, and Windcrest. The southern portion of the District was known to contain some of the finest homes in suburban San Antonio, while the northern portion was devoted to farming and ranching.

New Campuses Added


The District scrambled to keep pace with its popularity. Twelve new campuses were added in a 60-month period that ended in 1965. By 1965, the District had 631 teachers, 22 music and P.E. staff members, 11 elementary librarians, and 35 education staff members. By October 1967, NEISD had added Roosevelt and Churchill high schools and had grown to 24,434 students. In 1971, a bond election passed to add 215 classrooms to the District, including four new schools and additions and renovations for existing facilities. Since that time, bond issues for new construction, additions, renovations and technology were passed in 1979, 1988, 1995, 1998, 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015. This represents a $2.4 billion investment in new schools, renovations and technology by community voters. For more than a decade, the District’s population continued to grow -- from about 47,800 students in the fall of 1998 to approximately 67,800 in the fall of 2016.

Roosevelt High School Opened


Churchill High School Opened


Madison High School Opened


Reagan High School Opened


Johnson High School Opened


NEISD - The Second Largest School District in San Antonio


The suburban communities and farmland have transformed into a diverse and dynamic highly-sought after region of San Antonio. The district continues to receive its vision and energy from the dedicated teachers, staff, hard-working students, parents and volunteers who are the heart of this community.