Academy of Learning in Retirement
Operating under the aegis of NEISD, ALIR is open to all persons age 50 and older. Courses in the arts, computer, history, languages, literature, and the sciences are offered in a warm and supportive learning environment. ALIR utilizes its members’ wealth of experience and abilities as the principal means of achieving educational stimulation. Emphasis is on volunteerism with members volunteering as instructors, planners, and committee members according to their talents and skills. Because there is no beginning or end to lifelong learning, ALIR has awarded thousands of dollars of college scholarships to NEISD graduating seniors over the past decade. ALIR is a place where members get together to learn, socialize, and exchange views.
A membership fee of $80 payable to the Academy of Learning in Retirement will allow those eligible to take as many courses as they want during a semester.
In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, all Fall 2020 classes will be virtual. ALIR will not meet in person until it is safe to do so. Please see the accompanying catalog for details, to include registration instructions.
Important Dates for Fall 2020
- Friday, August 29 Online Registration for Fall term
- Monday, Sept. 14 First day of 12 week and 1st 6-week classes
- Friday, Oct. 23 End of 1st 6-weeks classes
- Monday, Oct. 26 Start of 2nd 6 weeks
- Nov. 25-27 Thanksgiving break
- Friday, Dec. 11 End of semester
- And introducing … Flexible Fridays
- 1st Flex Fri: Sept. 18 – Oct. 2
- 2nd Flex Fri: Oct. 9 – Oct. 23
- 3rd Flex Fri: Oct. 30 – Nov. 13
- 4th Flex Fri: Nov. 20 – Dec. 11