Academy of Learning in Retirement
Operating under the aegis of NEISD, ALIR is open to all persons age 50 and older. Courses in the arts, computer, history, languages, literature, and the sciences are offered in a warm and supportive learning environment. ALIR utilizes its members’ wealth of experience and abilities as the principal means of achieving educational stimulation. Emphasis is on volunteerism with members volunteering as instructors, planners, and committee members according to their talents and skills. Because there is no beginning or end to lifelong learning, ALIR has awarded thousands of dollars of college scholarships to NEISD graduating seniors over the past decade. ALIR is a place where members get together to learn, socialize, and exchange views.
A membership fee of $30 payable to the Academy of Learning in Retirement will allow those eligible to take as many courses as they want during a semester.
After a year of studying, learning, and conversing together online, this summer ALIR will offer some limited, in-person, classroom-based courses at the NEISD Community Education building on Tesoro. This careful re-introduction will happen alongside a robust selection of online (ZOOM) classes, as well. You’ll have a choice this summer! Of course, just as last summer’s transition to ZOOM reflected the reality of a global pandemic, so too will our return to the NEISD building reflect the pandemic’s ongoing presence and our mutual need to stay healthy. Consequently, this catalog of classes available in both settings – in-person and online – is a bit different than past ones; please take the time to read it closely before you register.
Important Dates for Summer 2021
- Monday, May 10 Online Registration opens for summer term online classes
- Monday, May 17 Online Registration opens for summer term in-person classes
- Tuesday, May 25 Instructors Meeting – online via ZOOM Wednesday,
- May 26 Orientation for new students – online via ZOOM
- Monday, May 31 NO CLASSES, Memorial Day (Monday classes will adjust)
- Tuesday, June 1 First day of classes
- July 5 – July 9 NO CLASSES, Fourth of July break
- Friday, August 6 End of the summer term
- Flexible Fridays 1st Flex Fri (3A): 6/4, 6/11, 6/18
- 2nd Flex Fri (3B): 6/25, 7/2, 7/16
- 3rd Flex Fri (3C): 7/23, 7/30, 8/6
Registration for the summer term begins at 9:00am on Monday, May 10, 2021
Here’s how to register:
- Select your class(es) from the catalog before going online.
- Go to SignUpGenius, the ALIR registration site, by clicking this link: