Academy of Learning in Retirement
Operating under the aegis of NEISD, ALIR is open to all persons age 50 and older. Courses in the arts, computer, history, languages, literature, and the sciences are offered in a warm and supportive learning environment. ALIR utilizes its members’ wealth of experience and abilities as the principal means of achieving educational stimulation. Emphasis is on volunteerism with members volunteering as instructors, planners, and committee members according to their talents and skills. Because there is no beginning or end to lifelong learning, ALIR has awarded thousands of dollars of college scholarships to NEISD graduating seniors over the past decade. ALIR is a place where members get together to learn, socialize, and exchange views.
A membership fee of $60 payable to the Academy of Learning in Retirement will allow those eligible to take as many courses as they want during a semester.
In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, all Spring 2021 classes will be virtual. ALIR will not meet in person until it is safe to do so. Please see the accompanying catalog for details, including registration instructions.
Important Dates for Spring 2021
- Monday, Jan 11 Online Registration for spring term
- Tuesdays Jan 12, 19, 26 ZOOM orientation for students and instructors (see page 2)
- Monday, Feb 1 First day of 12-week and 1st 6-week classes
- March 8 -12 NO CLASSES, spring break
- Monday, March 22 Start of 2nd 6 weeks classes
- Friday, April 30 End of spring term
- 1st Flex Fri (3A): 2/5, 2/12, 2/19
- 2nd Flex Fri (3B): 2/26, 3/5, 3/19
- 3rd Flex Fri (3C): 3/26, 4/2, 4/9
- 4th Flex Fri (3D): 4/16, 4/23, 4/30
Registration for the spring term begins at 8:00am on Monday, January 11, 2021.
Here’s how to register:
- Select your class(es) from the catalog before going online.
- Go to SignUpGenius, the ALIR registration site, by clicking this link:
- Select the classes you want by going to the correct weekday, then the time, and you will see the class listed. Once you’ve found it, click the check box.
- Select another class if you want, on a different day and/or time.
- Click the “Submit” button at the bottom of the page – and you’re enrolled!
- Fill in the required contact information (name, email address and phone number) – that’s how your instructor(s) will keep in touch and invite you to each class.
- Fridays are reserved for 3-week classes, and new Friday classes will be added during the semester.
- Before the class, you should receive a confirming email from SignUpGenius and a welcome email directly from the class instructor.