Elementary School Students
NEISD’s goal is to ensure all students learn at high levels in both a digital or in-person environment and have equitable access to a high quality education.
Getting Ready for Virtual Learning
Synchronous instruction refers to live, scheduled, interactive classes with teachers and students in real-time, teacher-supported work time, and scheduled and timed, online tests.
Asynchronous instruction refers to self-paced instruction with intermittent teacher interaction. There is pre-assigned work with remote formative assessments on the learning management system (LMS) that ensure continued information on student progress. NEISD uses Seesaw for PK-2nd, Seesaw and Google Classroom for 3rd-5th, and Google Classroom.
Blended learning will be used during in-person classroom learning activities to best support teachers and students transition to Distance Learning in the event of a micro closure. A Blended learning environment combines online learning tools with student-centered classroom methods.
Pre-K through 2nd Grade Virtual Plan
Students will receive a blend of daily Synchronous and Asynchronous Instruction. It is the only model approved by the Texas Education Agency for this age group.
- There will be Synchronous daily teacher-student interactions, which includes direct instruction, group work, independent practice, and assessment. These will also be recorded for students to access at a later time if needed.
- There must be daily progress through Seesaw, teachers will provide feedback.
- The student must be able to complete and turn in assignments on a daily basis.
- The teacher will schedule one-on-one tutorials and intervention time as needed.
3rd through 5th Grade Virtual Plan
Students will receive a blend of daily Synchronous and Asynchronous instruction in all core content areas. Students will receive:
- Dedicated schedule
- 3 hours of daily face-to-face instruction followed by independent work time
- Dedicated daily attendance time
- Scheduled tutorials, small group instruction, and interventions/enrichment
- One teacher will be assigned per grade level and teach all subjects
Students will receive Asynchronous Instruction for music, art, PE, and gifted and talented classes; the district will provide lessons for these areas. The physical education teacher will provide instructional videos for students to follow.
The Texas Education Agency requires students to have 135 minutes of physical activity per week.
Academic support is embedded into our daily schedules:
- Small group instruction with teachers throughout the day to support students’ individual needs.
- Teacher office hours at the end of the day that will allow for students to receive support with independent assignments and tutoring.
Elementary School Counselors will:
- Coordinate with the classroom teacher to provide live virtual instruction from the NEISD Comprehensive Elementary Guidance Program.
- Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) will be embedded throughout daily instruction. You can find family support on our NEISD SEL Support Pages
- Be available to meet with students receiving virtual instruction via phone with parent consent.
- Provide responsive services to students receiving virtual instruction – Counseling Support Lines.
The Counseling & Guidance Department will maintain current information regarding mental health and community services for students, families, and staff on the district Guidance Services Page.