Fine arts - Theatre
The Theatre program at NEISD is designed to provide a venue for creative expression and performance. The student is taught to analyze and evaluate dramatic texts as a basis for considering themes, time periods, settings, literary styles and characters. The student develops concepts, using elements of drama and conventions of theatre, and applies design, directing, and theatre production concepts and skills. In the advanced theatre classes, the student casts and directs duet scenes, analyzes the role of actor, ensemble, and director in production decision making, and produces a unified theatrical production.
Goals For The Program
- To continue to inspire students and community to appreciate creative expression.
- To continue to offer successful productions to students and community.
- To encourage growth in our programs.
- To increase the number of college auditions.
- To continue working with feeder schools.
- To support our community through volunteer efforts, children's workshops and children's shows.
- To support fellow theatre arts departments in NEISD district through sharing of ideas and resources.
UIL One-Act Play: NEISD has advanced a play to the State contest 10 of the past 11 years
University/College : Graduating seniors from the past 5 years are currently enrolled in conservatory programs at NYU, DePaul, SUNY Purchase/New York, North Carolina School of the Arts, Juilliard, Boston, Tulane and Georgetown
Awards & Honors: many finalists in National Speech Contest, Presidential Scholars 2002 and 2003, 4 finalists in ARTS in past 5 years, National Association for Advancement in the Arts- Outstanding Teacher 2003 and guest teachers from National Theatre Conservatory and Juilliard.