How do I enroll my child?
If your child meets the Texas criteria for Prekindergarten eligibility, please use the following process to enroll your child:
Step 1: Determine your elementary school using the School Search by Street website.
Step 2: Create an NEISD Parent Portal account, if you do not already have one. (You must have an email address to create this account.)
Step3: Complete the NEISD Online Registration.
- Select 2019-20 school year
- Select Prekindergarten
Step 4: Contact your area high school to set up an appoint for summer registration:
Step 5: Bring the following required documents to your elementary school:
- Certified copy of your child's birth certificate
- Proof of Residency
- Homeowner: current copy of electric or water bill (showing your address, date, and bill amount)
- Rent/Lease: signed copy of your current lease agreement
- Valid driver's license or ID
- Current immunization record
- Child's Social Security Card (if available)
Step 6: Bring proof of Prekindergarten eligibility:
- If your child is qualifying based on language, NEISD will administer an assessment to determine eligibility.
- If your child is qualifying based on economically disadvantaged, bring a paycheck stub showing gross wages within the last 60 days for every wage earner in your household or a current SNAP/TANF letter showing dates of eligibility and your EDG number.
- If your child is qualifying based on homelessness, you do not need to bring any additional documentation. A representative from the NEISD McKinney-Vento program will contact you to determine your eligibility status.
- If your child is qualifying based on membership in the U.S. Armed Forces, bring the student's DOD ID, Statement of Service for mobilized reservists or Texas National Guard, documentation that a parent is an MIA service member, copy of a death certificate indicating that the parent was killed in action, copy of Purple Heart orders/citation indicating that a parent was wounded or injured in combat, or a copy of the line of duty determination documentation indicating that a parent was injured while serving on active duty.
- If your child is qualifying based on foster care, bring a copy of Form 2085-Foster Care, court adoption records that are a result of DFPS custody, or proof of DFPS conservatorship.
- If your child is qualifying based on a parent receiving the Star of Texas Award, bring a copy of the award/citation letter.
If you have any questions about the documents needed to establish eligibility, please contact Early Childhood Education 210-407-0345.
Once a child is enrolled in public school, state compulsory attendance laws will apply. Under the law, if a student is absent from school on 10 or more days or parts of days within a six-month period in the same school year or on three or more days or parts of days within a four-week period, then the student's parent is subject to prosecution under Section 25.093.