NEISD Wellness Policy
STUDENT WELFARE FFA
WELLNESS AND HEALTH SERVICES (LOCAL)
The District shall support the general wellness of all students by implementing measureable goals to promote sound nutrition and student health and to reduce childhood obesity.
[See EHAA for information regarding the District’s coordinated school health program.]
DEVELOPMENT, IMPLEMENTATION, AND REVIEW OF GUIDELINES AND GOALS
The local school health advisory council (SHAC), on behalf of the District, shall review and consider evidence-based strategies and techniques and shall develop nutrition guidelines and wellness goals as required by law. In the development, implementation, and review of these guidelines and goals, the SHAC shall permit participation by parents, students, representatives of the District’s food service provider, physical education teachers, school health professionals, members of the Board, school administrators, and members of the public.
[See BDF for required membership of the SHAC.]
The SHAC shall develop a wellness plan to implement the District’s nutrition guidelines and wellness goals. The wellness plan shall, at a minimum, address:
- Strategies for soliciting involvement by and input from persons interested in the wellness plan and policy;
- Objectives, benchmarks, and activities for implementing the wellness goals;
- Methods for measuring implementation of the wellness goals;
- The District’s standards for foods and beverages provided, but not sold, to students during the school day on a school campus; and
- The manner of communicating to the public applicable information about the District’s wellness policy and plan.
The SHAC shall review and revise the plan on a regular basis and recommend revisions to the wellness policy when necessary.
FOODS AND BEVERAGES SOLD
The District’s nutrition guidelines for reimbursable school meals and all other foods and beverages sold or marketed to students during the school day shall be designed to promote student health and reduce childhood obesity and shall be at least as restrictive as federal regulations and guidance. [See CO]
FOODS AND BEVERAGES PROVIDED
The District shall establish standards for all foods and beverages provided, but not sold, to students during the school day. These standards shall be addressed in the District’s wellness plan.
NUTRITION PROMOTION AND EDUCATION
The District shall implement, in accordance with law, a coordinated school health program with a nutrition education component. [See EHAA] The District’s nutrition promotion activities shall encourage participation in the National School Lunch Program, the School Breakfast Program, and any other supplemental food and nutrition programs offered by the District.
The District establishes the following goals for nutrition promotion:
- The District’s food service staff, teachers, and other District personnel shall consistently promote healthy nutrition messages in cafeterias, classrooms, and other appropriate settings.
- The District shall share educational nutrition information with families and the general public to promote healthy nutrition choices and positively influence the health of students.
The District establishes the following goals for nutrition education:
- The District shall deliver nutrition education that fosters the adoption and maintenance of healthy eating behaviors.
- The District shall make nutrition education a District-wide priority and shall integrate nutrition education into other areas of the curriculum, as appropriate.
- The District shall provide professional development so that teachers and other staff responsible for the nutrition education program are adequately prepared to effectively deliver the program.
The District shall implement, in accordance with law, a coordinated health program with physical education and physical activity components and shall offer at least the required amount of physical activity for all grades. [See BDF, EHAA, EHAB, and EHAC]
The District establishes the following goals for physical activity:
- The District shall provide an environment that fosters safe, enjoyable, and developmentally appropriate fitness activities for all students, including those who are not participating in physical education classes or competitive sports.
- The District shall provide appropriate staff development and encourage teachers to integrate physical activity into the academic curriculum where appropriate.
- The District shall make appropriate before-school and after-school physical activity programs available and shall encourage students to participate.
- The District shall make appropriate training and other activities available to District employees in order to promote enjoyable, lifelong physical activity for District employees and students.
- The District shall encourage parents to support their children’s participation, to be active role models, and to include physical activity in family events.
- The District shall encourage students, parents, staff, and community members to use the District’s recreational facilities, such as tracks, playgrounds, and the like, that are available outside of the school day. [See GKD]
- The District shall offer physical education classes that will regularly emphasize moderate to vigorous activity.
OTHER SCHOOL-BASED ACTIVITIES
The District establishes the following goals to create an environment conducive to healthful eating and physical activity and to promote and express a consistent wellness message through other school-based activities:
- The District shall allow sufficient time for students to eat meals in cafeteria facilities that are clean, safe, and comfortable.
- The District shall promote wellness for students and their families at suitable District and campus activities.
- The District shall promote employee wellness activities and involvement at suitable District and campus activities.
The Superintendent or designee shall oversee the implementation of this policy and the development and implementation of the wellness plan and appropriate administrative procedures.
The District shall comply with federal requirements for evaluating this policy and the wellness plan.
The District shall annually inform and update the public about the content and implementation of the wellness policy, including posting on its website copies of the wellness policy, the wellness plan, and the required implementation assessment.
The District shall retain all the required records associated with the wellness policy, in accordance with law and the District’s records management program. [See CPC and FFA(LEGAL)]
DATE ISSUED: 2/9/2017 ADOPTED: