Back to school links
Mondays at 8:00am - 8:30am
Degrees and Certifications:
Welcome to my page!
I teach Spanish I. I have a Bachelors in Spanish and Psychology from the Univerity of Texas at Austin. This is my 12th year teaching and my fourth at Madison HS.
9 Weeks Grading:
Daily (Writing, Reading, Speaking, Listening) 40% Quizzes 30%
Semester Grading: Each 9 weeks counts 40% and semester exams 20%
follow school & classroom rules respect self & others
complete all assignments study
classroom conduct attend tutoring as needed
RE-TEACHING AND RE-TESTING
- If 50% or more of students in a class fail to demonstrate mastery of TEKS on a summative assessment, the teacher will provide an opportunity for re-teaching and re-testing during class time. All students in the class will be given the opportunity for re-teach and re-test. The higher of the two grades will be recorded in the grade book.
- If fewer than 50% of all students in a class fail to demonstrate mastery of TEKS on a summative assessment, the teachers will provide re-teaching and re-testing during or outside of class time. The grade on the re-assessment will be recorded as no higher than 70 if mastery is demonstrated. If mastery is not demonstrated, the higher grade will be recorded.
- Re-teaching should employ instructional strategies different from the original instruction.
- Re-testing or re-assessment may include, but is not limited to, oral examination, additional practice activities, an essay or paper, a report or presentation, test corrections, revision of a paper or project, or a formal test.
- Re-teaching/re-testing provisions do not apply to semester exams.
- Late work is defined as any assignment that is not submitted on the due date and class period with the exception of make-up work for absences or approved school activities.
- A 20% deduction from the total grade earned will be taken for late assignments.
- Late assignments will be accepted until the material has been assessed summatively or within a three-week grading period.
- Extenuating circumstances may occur that prevent the completion and turning in of assignments on the due date. It is the parent/guardian and/or student’s responsibility to inform the teacher and/or an appropriate administrator of any such circumstances so that an exception to the rule may or may not be granted. The teacher and/or appropriate administrator shall have the authority to render a final decision on the granting of any exceptions.
- Absolutely no food, candy, or drinks allowed in the classroom. Items will be thrown away. You may have water provided it is in a bottle with a lid.
- I do not ‘give’ an extra point on grades to be eligible for a sport or activity.
- We will not have any ‘free’ days, do not ask.
- Do not copy, cheat, or plagiarize in this classroom while working on Spanish or any other subject. The following are definitions taken from the American Heritage Dictionary.
Copy – to imitate or reproduce something from the original
Cheat – to act dishonestly
Plagiarism – to steal and use the writings of another as one’s own
The penalty is that both papers will earn a ‘0’. In addition, there will be a formal write up for violating the Academic Honesty Policy, and a form will be submitted to your permanent file with the district.
- Respect yourself, other classmates, and especially Señora Garcia.
- Use phrases like: “sí, señora,” “no, señora,” “por favor,” and “gracias.”
- -I reserve the right to add any more rules as the year progresses.