Middle School Students
NEISD’s goal is to ensure all students learn at high levels in both a digital or in-person environment and have equitable access to a high quality education.
Getting Ready for Virtual Learning
Synchronous instruction refers to live, scheduled, interactive classes with teachers and students in real-time, teacher-supported work time, and scheduled and timed, online tests.
Asynchronous instruction refers to self-paced instruction with intermittent teacher interaction. There is pre-assigned work with remote formative assessments on the learning management system (LMS) that ensure continued information on student progress. NEISD uses Seesaw for PK-2nd, Seesaw and Google Classroom for 3rd-5th, and Google Classroom.
Blended learning will be used during in-person classroom learning activities to best support teachers and students transition to Distance Learning in the event of a micro closure. A Blended learning environment combines online learning tools with student-centered classroom methods.
Middle School Virtual Plan
Students will receive a blend of daily Synchronous and Asynchronous Instruction in all core areas. Students will receive:
- Dedicated A/B schedule
- Approximately four hours of required face-to-face instruction followed by independent work time
- Daily attendance required
- Purposeful group work
- Guided independent work
- Scheduled tutorials and interventions
- The teachers will be housed on campus; While every effort will be made to ensure the distance learning teacher is a teacher from the student’s home campus, there may be circumstances that necessitate a need to assign teachers from different campuses.
Elective courses will be offered with a blend of asynchronous and synchronous instruction with opportunities for in-person labs and hands-on experiences.When possible, teachers will only be responsible for face-to-face instruction in a classroom or teaching students in a virtual setting. While every effort will be made to ensure the distance learning teacher is a teacher from the student’s home campus, there may be circumstances that necessitate a need to assign teachers from different campuses.
Middle School Counselors will:
- Coordinate with classroom teachers, 6-8, for a time for the middle school counselor to provide live virtual instruction regarding individual planning and guidance curriculum.
- Social-Emotional Learning (SEL) will be embedded throughout daily instruction. You can find family support on our NEISD SEL Support Pages
- Provide students, 6-8, with access to Career, College, and Military Readiness opportunities to support future-ready learning and planning.
- Be available to meet with students receiving remote/virtual instruction via phone with parent consent.
- Provide responsive services to students receiving remote/virtual instruction - Counseling Support Lines.