Welcome to Pre-AP Computer Science 2 3006
Pre-AP Computer Science 2 is a prepatory-level course preparing students for AP Computer Science A (3010). Students successfully completing this course will gain an in-depth knowledge of programming and software development principles applicable to most major programming languages and environments.
The primary language used in this course is JAVA, however students will have exposure to C++, Python, Ruby, Processing, and Arduino languages as well.
NEISD # 3006 Credit: 1.0 TEKS: Chapter §126.34. Computer Science II
Teacher: Dean Arteaga, M.S. Successful completion of Algebra I is a prerequisite. Completion of Pre-AP Computer Science I is highly recommended.
This course is taught at a college prepatory-level. As such, taking notes and student self-motivation are essential to student success in this class.
Notebooks are periodically reviewed and graded by the teacher. Keeping an updated notebook is part of the course grade. Loose / torn-out papers or pocket folders are not acceptable and will not be reviewed or graded.
A USB drive for online materials and for project work is recommended BUT NOT required for this class.
Daily Work/Participation: 15%
Late work accepted is accepted as per page 9 of the NEISD guidelines (NEISD Grading Policy) - until we begin the next unit for a 20% deduction in possbile points.
Recommended/ Required Course Materials
- Readings and excersies from the free online book Think Java: How to Think Like a Computer Scientist Version 6.x by Allen Downey and Chris Mayfield
- A quadrille notebook exclusively for this class and a pencil or pen to write with - required
Highly Recommended Items
- A 2gb or larger USB flash drive - recommended
- Java 8 Pocket Guide: Instant Help for Java Programmers 1st Edition by by Robert Liguori and Patricia Liguori ISBN-13: 978-1491900864 | Available for purchase at bookstores/Amazon (about $13) - recommnended
Software for Practice at Home
- NetBeans 8.2 IDE is free and works with multiple languages
- Jeliot Code a free JAVA visualizer
- Processing a free Java-based Language
- MIT App Inventor a free app development platform for Android devices