Degrees and Certifications:
Mr. MR. EDWARD COLEMAN
BIOGRAPHY FOR MR. EDWARD COLEMAN
Hi, my name is Mr. Edward (Ed) Coleman. I am a native of Dallas, Texas. I came to San Antonio through the military. My wife and I have been married for 45 years. We have two children, both are graduates of James Madison High School. We have five grandchildren. Two of them are currently attending Madison. My other grandchildren reside in Alaska. We are a military family. My father served in the United States Navy and was a veteran of World War II. I served with the United States Air Force, and I am a veteran of the Vietnam War. My son served in the United States Army, and he is a veteran of the Iraq War.
- I enjoy RV camping. My most exciting trip was to the diamond field in Murfreesboro, Arkansas. No, we did not find diamonds. The adventure of panning for diamonds was a lot of fun and the hospitality was great.
- I enjoy bowling with my family and substituting on bowling leagues for my friends.
- The sports I enjoy watching are tennis, soccer, baseball, softball, basketball, and football.
- I am learning woodworking and how to repair small engines.
MY WORK EXPERIENCE
- I have over 20 years of service with the United States Air Force.
- I worked in the Administrative Support Field and the Combat Arms Training and Maintenance Field
- I was assigned state side duty stations in Texas, and Mississippi
- I was assigned overseas duty stations in Vietnam, Japan, England, and Korea
- I served over 20 years in the criminal justice field.
- I have been employed with the Bexar County Constable’s Department, Kerr County Sheriff’s Office, Bexar County Sheriff’s Office, University Health System Police Department, Alamo Area Council Governments Regional Law Enforcement Academy, and the East Central ISD Police Department
- I have achieved the following criminal justice licensure Basic Police Officer, Police Instructor, Standardized Field Sobriety Testing Instructor.
- I have achieved the following law enforcement certifications Master Peace Officer, Mental Health, Crime Prevention, Communication, and Hypnosis Investigation.
- I obtained the rank and title of Patrolman, Corporal, Investigator, Sergeant, and Academy Training Coordinator
MY EDUCATION BACKGROUND
- Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice – Troy State University
- Associate of Science in Criminal Justice – Troy State University
- Associate of Applied Science in Instructorial Technology – Community College of The Air Force
- High School Diploma – Franklin D. Roosevelt High School
MY PUBLIC SCHOOL WORK EXPERIENCE
- I started my public school work experience in 1996 with East Central High in San Antonio. I taught courses in criminal justice, and sponsored the criminal justice club.
- I came to James Madison in 2002. I taught courses in criminal justice, career connection, and Peer Assistance Leadership and Service (PALS). I have coached tennis and baseball. I have sponsored the Criminal Justice Club, ONXY step team, sophomore Corp., and the bowling team. I also perform duty as the Campus Activity Director, and Campus Adult Education and Community Education Coordinator.
WHY I TEACH?
Teaching is what I have done throughout my adult life, military, law enforcement and now public school. My GOD has allowed me to do many of things I wanted to do. What I did not know was that he was preparing me to be a teacher in the public school system. Teaching in public school was not my choice but is where GOD wanted me to be. I enjoy teaching because I can use my life skills, experience, and knowledge to help young people. I have learned that the impact of teaching is two-fold. I have learned from the students while they are learning from me. I have also established strong bonds with several families.
MISSION AS AN EDUCATOR
- Provide the best educational opportunities through the use of formal academics, and technical knowledge and skills.
- Provide the formal social development and maturity required for good citizenship, employment and higher education enhancement for life long use.
GOAL AS AN EDUCATOR
- Teach to the needs of every student.
- Ensure that the classroom environment is safe, friendly and humorous for all students.
- Provide lessons that are engaging and relevant.
- Provide authentic assessment of student understanding
- Ensure that the classroom activities are all-inclusive environment for every student.
- Involved parents and community as partners in the teaching process.