To assist NEISD students with disabilities to become contributing members of the community through employment, education, training, independent life skills and self-advocacy.
This is accomplished through a coordinated set of activities that is focused on improving student academic and functional achievement in order to facilitate movement from school to adult life.
Transition from high school to adult life can be difficult! Students frequently have many questions and concerns.
How will my life change?
Will I go to college?
How will I get to places?
How will I see my friends?
Where will I live?
Will I have a job?
Who will help me?
NETS CAN HELP WITH THESE QUESTIONS AND MANY OTHERS
POST SECONDARY EDUCATION AND TRAINING
INDEPENDENT LIVING SKILLS
Transition services at NETS assists the students in bridging the gap between high school and adult life.
* Training and instruction occurs in the community; in real environments; in the real world.
* Programming for students depends on individual needs and IEP goals.
* Instruction is individualized and intensive.
* Training and instruction is inclusive and age-appropriate.
* Student’s schedules vary daily and/or weekly.
* Training and instruction occur in community based locations.
* Plans are developed by a specialized transition team: student, family, friends, case manager, adult agencies, and employers.
Parents and family members are a vital part of the transition team at NETS.
* Train on using public transportation
* Assist in scheduling student activities
* Assist in accessing adult agencies and services
* Provide job coaching
* Communicate with employers
* Assist with career development
* Teach skills for community inclusion
* Assist with continuing education classes and various training programs
* Assist with college preparation
* Assist in developing life skills through a “real life” apartment setting.
“I can ride VIA on my own”
“At first I was scared about moving out of my mom’s home,
But excited to be on my own.”
“I wish all my employees were like tiffany.”
“My daughter is more independent now.”
“Monique has been a success story!”
NETS transition services are for students with disabilities ages 18-21 who reside in NEISD, have a current Individual Education Plan (IEP), have completed their high school program, and are seeking support in skills necessary for adult life.
If high school graduation requirements have been completed, students may participate in high school graduation ceremonies and receive a certificate of accomplishment. The student’s diploma is presented when the student completes all NEISD educational services.
Director: Nancy Neugebauer, Ed. D.
8438 Ahern Dr, San Antonio, TX 78216
210-356-7520, FAX: 210-442-0643
Office Hours: 7:30 am - 4:00 pm