Some NEISD elementary and middle Schools have adopted uniform requirements, below is a list of the campuses who currently have such requirements. To confirm these requirements and find out the specific requirements, please check with appropriate campus.
Khaki, navy bottoms- solid colors onlynavy blue, grey, white collared shirts- solid color onlyWalzem school shirts- sold by PTA
Shirts - red, white or gray collared shirt or Larkspur school shirt
Bottoms - khaki or navy blue pants, long shorts, skirts, capris, or jumpers
- East Terrell Hills
PHILOSOPHY AND GENERAL STATEMENT TO PARENTS
NEISD believes that school performance and future success are enhanced by appropriate dress and good grooming. Parents/Guardians are strongly urged to work closely with the school to insure student's adherence to these standards. Parents/Guardians are encouraged to enforce moderate hairstyles and high standards of dress for their students, which at some campuses include standard attire such as uniforms. Parents/Guardians will be serving the welfare of our students and helping us as educators by emphasizing standards of neatness, cleanliness, safety, and decency in dress and grooming. The Dress Code is in effect for students while attending school functions or school sponsored activities on or off school property. Exceptions to this for certain school-related events are determined by each campus administrator.
While it is inevitable that there will be differences of opinion as to the appropriateness of dress, grooming, and/or determining whether or not a students attire is disruptive or distracting to the educational environment of the school, the final determination will be made by the building principal. Any student who does not comply with the dress code will be removed from the regular school setting until the student complies with this code.
Schools adopting a school uniform may have standards that exceed the District’s dress code stated above. In addition, the dress code rules and regulations will be more restrictive in an alternative educational program.
The following rules are to be followed:
- Hair must be neat and clean. Unconventional hairstyles that are considered to be distracting and/or disruptive to the educational environment are prohibited. Students may wear natural hair colors only. For further clarification on what is unconventional, please consult with your student's school administrator.
- Halter tops, exposed midriffs, strapless and/or low cut tops, exposed backs, spaghetti straps, see-through clothing, and tanks with oversized armholes are not permitted. Undergarments shall not be visible or exposed.
- Clothing with inappropriate advertising or statements that are offensive or inflammatory (alcoholic beverage, profanity, sex, tobacco, drugs, gang, satanic, promoting violence, etc.) is prohibited. Certain colored items of clothing (shirts, hair decorations, shoe laces, etc.) may be prohibited at the discretion of the campus principal.
- Appropriate footwear is required. Footwear that has toes and/or soles reinforced with steel, hard plastic or similar materials is prohibited. Footwear with wheels is prohibited.
- Shorts will be permitted provided that the shorts are neatly hemmed, conservative and modest in appearance. Campus administration will determine appropriate length. Bicycle shorts, gym shorts, form fitting and skin-tight shorts or pants of spandex or other similar materials worn alone are prohibited.
- Pants shall be worn securely at the waist. Sagging is prohibited. Excessively worn, torn, frayed, over-sized or long clothing is not permitted.
- Dresses, skirts, skorts and split-skirts will be permitted provided that they are neatly hemmed, conservative, and modest in appearance. Campus administration will determine appropriate length. Excessively high slits in skirts will not be permitted.
- Body piercing ornaments and other similar ornaments will be worn on the ear only.
- Visible tattoos and similar body painting(s) that promote violence or reflect gang activity are prohibited. Visible tattoos and similar body painting(s) that are considered offensive, inflammatory or disruptive to the learning environment are prohibited.
- Hats, caps, or other head apparel are not permitted. Hoods on hooded sweatshirts, shirts, and jackets may not be worn during instructional, passing periods, or while in the building.
- Any apparel or attire that is considered to be distracting and/or disruptive to the educational environment. (ex. pajamas, house shoes) or is considered a safety concern is prohibited.
A review of dress and grooming policies will be made periodically and changes will be made as needed.
Parents/Guardians with a bona fide religious or philosophical objection to their students wearing a uniform may apply for an exemption/transfer. Applications are available in the school office. Applications are to be returned to the school. The District Uniform Review Committee will review the application and make a recommendation to the NEISD Board of Trustees. Parents/Guardians will be notified of the Board's decision.