2013-14 School Year
Students will have many opportunities for a successful school year. Please help us to make this year an exciting time for students as we continue to focus on academic success.
- Attend tutoring before and after school.
- Be on time and present for every class.
- Monitor attendance and attend Saturday school. Contact your student’s administrator for information concerning the number of days needed.
- Review credits and schedule and visit with a counselor for questions.
- Monitor grades through Parent Portal and turn in all assignments.
- Join a school organization or extra-curricular activity.
Enrollment to Madison High School
At Madison High School, we welcome students and parents to become a part of the mighty Mavericks. The enrollment process begins in the Counseling Center. As part of the process, parents will meet with the student’s assistant principal to discuss attendance and grade requirements. Please assist us by providing the withdrawal form from the previous school attended.
Withdrawing from Madison High School
At times throughout the year, it is necessary for parents to withdraw students from school. To assist you in completing the process, the following information is required in the Assistant Principal’s Center for completion of forms and returning of textbooks.
- Parent required for withdrawal
- Student ID badge
- Student/Parent Handbook
- All obligations cleared
Fall 2013 - First Semester
Saturday School is an initiative of NEISD to assist high school students needing to receive course credit due to absences. Please see your child’s assistant principal if you have questions as to the number of Saturdays required. Forms for registration are available in the Assistant Principal’s Center. Forms and money are due to Mrs. Gesell by 4:30 PM on the Thursday prior to attending.
Cost: $8.00 per Saturday
Location: James Madison High School
Time: 8:00 AM-1:00 PM
The following dates have been established for Saturday School for the 2013-14 school
year. Saturday School will be held at Madison High School. Reagan High School will
be the secondary site used the last three Saturday Schools on the calendar (see notation
Attendance in school is compulsory (required) for school-aged children in Texas. Students who are absent more than 9 times per semester (18 times per year) may lose credit. An acceptable manner in which to make up for excessive absences is to attend Saturday School or Summer School.
If your child will be absent, please send a note within 48 hours. These notes must be taken to our attendance office. Doctor’s notes are best; when available. We will also accept faxed notes.
When your student returns to school, please have him/her bring a parent note (limit 8) or doctor note with the following information to the Madison High School Attendance Office:
- Your student’s first and last name AND student ID number
- Date(s) of the absence – period #’s if not all day
- Reason for the absence
- Parent name and phone number
Notes must be received within 2 days of the student’s return to school. Faxed notes are acceptable. Fax to 210.637.4414
Should your student need to leave campus during school hours, he/she must be signed out at the Attendance Office by a parent or guardian. Parents/guardians will be asked to show an ID. Please allow at least 15 minutes for the student to be located in class and gather his/her belongings. We will not call for students after 3:50pm.
Students returning to campus after an appointment must sign in at the Attendance Office, and must have doctor’s note.
Other helpful hints:
- Have your student in school every day that they are healthy enough to be here. (Fever free for 24 hours please.)
- Contact the school nurse if your child has a chronic condition that may result in frequent absences. Medical documentation may be required.
- Monitor the Parent Portal absence tab and notify us if you have any questions.
Our updates take 24 hours to “go live” to the portal.
- Call your child’s counselor, the attendance secretary, or Assistant Principal, if you have any questions or concerns about attendance.
Saturday School Fees:
Elementary students will be charged $4 per Saturday School.
Secondary students will be charged $8 per Saturday School.
All Saturday School forms can be found on the PPS intranet website.
2013-2014 Saturday School Dates
|FIRST SEMESTER||SECOND SEMESTER|
|October 19, 2013||February 8, 2014
|October 26, 2013||February 22, 2014|
|November 2, 2013||March 1, 2014|
|November 9, 2013||March 22, 2014|
|November 16, 2013||March 29, 2014|
|December 7, 2013||April 5, 2014|
|December 14, 2013||April 12, 2014|
|January 11, 2014+||May 3, 2014*|
|January 25, 2014+||May 10, 2014*|
|February 1, 2013+||May 17, 2014 *|
+ These dates are used for First Semester credit.
*Reagan High School will be the site for Reagan HS, Johnson HS, Churchill HS,
and their feeder Middle Schools for the last three Saturdays listed above. All other
schools and ALL elementary grades will report to Madison HS.
Frequently Asked Questions
A-L Vicki Killough 210.356.1432
M-Z Kathy Belz 210.356.1401