Core Purpose: Language
is communication and provides a vehicle for cultural
understanding, awareness, and respect.
Students will be given opportunities to:
- Communicate in the language being studied by speaking,
listening, reading, and writing in a variety of settings
- Use the language being learned as a tool to develop
knowledge and skills in other content areas
- Develop an awareness and understanding of, and respect for
their own and other cultures
- Prepare for participation in the global community and
Lee teachers will provide an environment conducive to
language acquisition by:
- Utilizing a variety of effective instructional strategies
- Addressing multiple intelligences and individual learning
- Building upon the current language skills of the student
- Simulating real-world applications of language use
- Creating an atmosphere where students can comfortably
practice the language and learn from errors
- Promoting an atmosphere where students learn to respect
each other and their differences
The North East Minimum Program requires two credits in Foreign Languages. The two units must be related. (Example French I and French II or Latin American Culture/ Spanish I and Conversational Spanish). The North East recommended program requires three credits in the same foreign language such as Spanish I, Spanish II, Spanish III. For more information on course selections visit our foreign language section of our course catalog in the counseling section of the website.
Extra curricular activities are offered in the Foreign Language Department. German, Latin, Spanish, and French Clubs offer an opportunity for student involvement. Students can also compete in contests through the different foreign language courses. For more information please inquire within each specific course offering.