News from the Johnson Counseling Office...
Week at a Glance:
Dec 9: Algebra I EOC Retest in Library MPR
Dec 10: Biology EOC Retest in Library MPR
Dec 13: 6 week Progress Reports Distributed
Dec. 14: ACT College Admissions Test at Johnson High School 7:30 am
Students must bring admission ticket, ID, calculator, and pencils.
December 18: Dual Credit Meeting 6:30 pm Johnson Auditorium
Parents of 10th and 11th graders
The application process for students to enroll in dual credit
classes for the 2014-2015 school year has become more
complicated!! If your child plans to apply for a dual credit class,
you must attend this meeting!! Bring your student!!
The first step in the process is to complete the ApplyTexas
application. If you want to get started with this step, please follow
the instructions below. It is critical you answer most of the
questions the way we recommend. This will hopefully prevent
your application from being delayed in the SAC system.
Remember you are applying as a dual credit student, not like
you would if you were applying to attend college as a
Complete the ApplyTexas application for Fall 2014 Dual Credit admission at www.alamo.edu/AlamoENROLL- Applying for Dual Credit. To ensure correct processing of this application, please carefully follow each step of the
application procedures on Alamo ENROLL-Ready, Set, Apply and/or read pgs.
6-9 of the Dual Credit handbook. You will receive a Banner ID (in 24-48 hours
– 1 week). Although Alamo Colleges’ deadline to complete this application is 2/14/14, you are strongly urged to complete this application as soon as possible due to the additional requirements.
Tip of the Week:
Do you have Test Anxiety?
Test anxiety is almost universal and can cause a host of problems in students, such as upset stomach, headache, loss of focus, fear, irritability, anger and even depression. For more information on overcoming Test Anxiety by using some practical tips, please read the following article written by the American Counseling Association.
Schreiner University in Kerrville, Texas
- Year established: 1923
- Type of school: private university
- Programs: four-year undergraduate, master of education, master of business administration
- Accreditation: Schreiner University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- The University also holds accreditation by the Texas Board of Nursing, Texas Board of Vocational Nurse Examiners and is approved by the State Board for Educator Certification (SBEC) for teacher certification programs.
- Campus enrollment: 1,136 (Fall 2013)
- Population: Kerrville: 22,423 according to the 2010 Census; currently projected at 22,750 Kerr County: 43,653 according to the 2000 Census; currently projected at 47,339
- Student/faculty ratio: 14:1
For more information visit: http://www.schreiner.edu/admission/index.aspx
Colleges at Johnson this Week
The Texas A&M University rep will be on campus to meet with admitted seniors (parents are welcome to attend) on Wednesday December 11 at 8:00 a.m. in the college and career center to discuss housing and deadlines. Please be sure to attend!!
Marsha Martin Scholarship by Texas Farm Credit
Five $2,000 scholarships will be awarded to seniors who are pursuing a college degree in agriculture. Deadline for application is Tuesday April 1, 2014. Students may pick up scholarship application in the college and career center.
The Alamo Area Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development Scholarship
$500.00 scholarship for senior who plans to major in the field of education. Must have a minimum GPA of a 3.0. Application deadline is Wednesday March 5, 2014. Students may pick up application in the college and career center.
Baumberger Endowment Scholarship
Senior must have lived in Texas at least 10 years, achieve a minimum score of 1000 on the new SAT using critical reading and math scores only or a composite of 22 on the ACT, rank in the top 50% of the graduating class, need financial assistance and attend a state school. Applications are available in the college and career center. Deadline to submit application to the counseling office is February 12, 2014.
Check out the Johnson Scholarship Page
Check out this great video by the NPR tech team: “Raising Kids in the Digital Age”