FREE AND REDUCED price MEALS
The online application for free or reduced price meals
Your children may be eligible to receive free or reduced price meals. All families are encouraged to submit an application anytime during the school year. Applying for this benefit is easy and confidential using our online application system. Paper applications will be mailed to the households of registered students by the first week of August. Exception: Castle Hills students will receive applications on the first day of school. Applications may also be requested at the school or you can call 210-356-9113 or print the application from this website after July 20, 2014. For quicker service, families may apply online. A new application must be submitted each school year.
What you will need to apply:
- Child(ren)’s name as it appears on birth certificate
- Household before-tax income or SNAP/TANF number
- Some households applying for children that are qualified foster, homeless, migrant, runaway or participating in Head Start may not be required to provide household income. Please read the detailed instructions carefully
- Read and carefully follow all application instructions to avoid delays in processing
- Complete only one application naming every person in your household including foster children
- Households receiving SNAP or TANF benefits should list their eligibility number and skip the Household Income section on the application
- Households applying for students participating in special programs including foster, homeless, migrant, runaway or Head Start do not need to report income if all students in the household participate in at least one of these programs. If only some participate, list your household income on the application. You must also report the child's program participation to the school counselor before your application can be processed.
- Income based applicants: Eligibility for benefits is based on family size and income so it is important to list every household member on your application
- Be sure to sign your application to avoid delayed processing. Only originals will be accepted – no faxed copies. (Online applications are signed electronically when submitted.)
- Paper applications may be turned in at school or mailed to the School Nutrition Services office. Mail your application to the School Nutrition Office or apply online for quicker processing. Allow up to 10 working days for your application to be processed.
- Once your application is processed, you will receive a letter advising your child's eligibility status. You are responsible for any meal charges prior to approval for benefits. Eligibility is not retroactive.
Please help us expedite application processing by submitting only one application for your household. It is not necessary to complete a paper application if you apply online.
Important Note: If your child was approved for meal benefits in the past, you must submit a new application for the 2014-2015 school year. Students will be permitted to receive benefits based on last year’s approval status only until October 6, 2014 for the traditional school schedule and until September 4, 2014 for the Castle Hills (year round) schedule. If we have not processed a new application by those dates, the student will become ineligible and go to “paid” status the next day.
For more information call (210) 356-9100 or email MealApplication@neisd.net.
School Nutrition Services
3623 Highpoint Street
SAn Antonio, Texas 78217
Non-Discrimination Statement: This explains what to do if you believe you have been treated unfairly. In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.