Indoor Air Quality Coordinator
Indoor Air QualityTechnician
Department of Indoor Air Quality was established in 2009. Our mission is to provide children and staff with a safe and healthy environment. We will manage the facility safety and building science issues that occur at schools and buildings throughout the District.
Department responsibilities include:
- Establish a Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) team on each campus in order to bring awareness and proactive environmental strageties throughout the District.
- Improve absenteeism due to allergy, asthma or poor IAQ
The Department would like the document Tips for a Healthier Classroom available to all campuses to serve as a guideline to help improve the Indoor Air Quality of our schools. The items listed are from the San Antonio Metropolitan Health Department, National Asthma/Allergy Guidelines, and NEISD IAQ. The Department appreciates your help and cooperation in removing these items to improve the environment of the district classrooms.
Indoor Air Quality
This program is designed to improve the health outcomes for our children. Its primary goal is to increase staff, student and parent awareness, decrease school or work days missed and to potentially lead individuals live fuller lives. Because IAQ issues impact individuals, this program will be an integral part of the Maintenance team. The IAQ Awareness Program has the following responsibilities:
- Educate the staff on symptoms, triggers, and management
- Educate the parents and students to understand their symptoms, triggers, and medication management
- Reduce episodes of asthma in the school setting by addressing and monitoring progress of control triggers
- Prevent effects on respiratory sensitive individuals by addressing and monitoring progress and/or correction of any IAQ issues
- Minimize emergency department visits and hospitalizations of students or staff by assisting individuals with Asthma Management
- Inspecting campuses and promoting trigger control/awareness in these areas
Classrooms including Fine Arts/Athletic spaces
- Administering training to staff/administration in the following areas:
NEISD Asthma Education Awareness Goals
Potential Asthma triggers
Common Asthma symptoms
Basic Asthma medications
How to handle an Asthma episode
Asthma Action Plan (English/Spanish)