Foreign Language Philosophy
"Language and communication are at the heart of the human experience. The United States must educate students who are equipped linguistically and culturally to communicate successfully in a pluralistic American society and abroad."
Standards for Foreign Language Learning: Preparing for the 21st Century
"When individuals are able to use language to cross linguistic and cultural boundaries, they gain an understanding of each others similarities and differences and learn to treat each other with respect."
Texas Framework for Languages Other Than English
Cultural awareness, understanding, and respect
Insight into one's own culture and language
Participation in the global community and marketplace
Core Purpose: Language is communication and provides a vehicle for cultural understanding, awareness, and respect.
Critical Attributes: Students will be given opportunities to:
- Communicate in the language being studied by speaking, listening, reading, and writing in a variety of settings
- Use the language being learned as a tool to develop knowledge and skills in other content areas
- Develop an awareness and understanding of, and respect for their own and other cultures
- Prepare for participation in the global community and marketplace
- Utilizing a variety of effective instructional strategies
- Addressing multiple intelligences and individual learning styles
- Building upon the current language skills of the student
- Simulating real-world applications of language use
- Creating an atmosphere where students can comfortably practice the language and learn from errors
- Promoting an atmosphere where students learn to respect each other and their differences