Bully Awareness in neisd - Reporting bullying
The definition of bullying is intentional aggressive behavior which consists of two key components: repeated harmful acts and an imbalance of power or strength. It occurs when a person is repeatedly exposed to negative actions over a period of time. As a result, bullying creates an intimidating, threatening, or abusive educational environment.
Any student who believes that he/she has experienced bullying or believes that another student is being bullied, should report it immediately.
REPORT BULLYING BY:
- The best & fastest way to report bullying is to CALL your child's school administrator and/or counselor.
- EMAIL a teacher, school counselor, Assistant Principal, Principal and/or Campus Police Officer
- CALL the NEISD Police Hotline @ 210-655-CARE(2273)
- Utilize the NEISD Mobile App to report the bullying incident via the Tip Line link.
Information about Reporting:
• Reports of bullying should be made as soon as possible after the incidents occurred so that investigations can begin with fresher memories.
• Reports should contain as much detail as possible about when, where, and how the incident occurred becuase more detail makes it easier for school administrators to investigate incidens faster.
• Remember that all students, even those who may have committed acts of bullying, are entitled to confidentiality protection under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act ("FERPA"), which means that school administrators will not be able to share what actions may be taken against other students, just like they could not share with other parents information about your student.
• Once you have made a report of bullying to school administrators, rest assured it will be investigated and appropriate actions taken, but please do not attempt to confront students yourself, as this will only cause further disruption to the school and may make investigations more complicated.
Although NEISD is strongly committed to preventing and addressing bullying in any form, no school district can ever completely control the behavior of its students at all times, and no school district can ever guarantee that bullying will not occur. This is why it is very important that parents communicate any concerns to the school so that it can be investigated and any necessary action can be taken.
It is important that the school, parents/guardians, and our community work together to reinforce a culture of tolerance and respect.