information for the community

Superintendent message - May 1, 2014

NEISD_SuperintendentHeader

 

May 1, 2014

Dear NEISD Community:

As we continue to be vigilant in our safety and security procedures across our district, we know there will unfortunately be individuals who will try to cause fear and intimidation.

The past week has certainly been difficult for many of us, as the Madison community had to deal with threats of violence and weapons on campus. The North East Police Department, FBI and Madison administration worked diligently to investigate those cases and two 17-year-olds were arrested.

Last week, we told you about an anonymous threat against an unnamed San Antonio elementary school. In an effort to continue to be transparent, I want to share with you a new threat which San Antonio Police and the FBI believe to have been sent by the same person.

This afternoon, another email was sent to the Northside ISD that threatened violence against Madison High School, making reference to a mass shooting at an unspecified time.

I have spoken with San Antonio Police Chief William McManus who continues to work with the FBI to track down this individual. He assures me this threat, like the one last week, is not credible. At this point, Chief McManus has told me no other information can be shared. Regardless, I felt you should have as much information about the investigation as I do.

The North East Police Department along with other local law enforcement agencies will continue to have an increased presence at Madison High School. In addition, security procedures such as the use of clear or mesh backpacks only will remain in effect for Madison students.

We must continue to work together as a community to ensure the safety of our students and staff. We will update you with more information as we receive it. Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,

 

Brian Gottardy, Ed.D.
Superintendent of Schools

 

Below is the latest update released by the San Antonio Police Department:

SAPD

The San Antonio Police Department has concluded that the person responsible for the latest emailed threats upon San Antonio schools is, in fact, the same person responsible for past telephone threats from 2012 and 2013. These past threats were made on San Antonio area hotels, the San Antonio Airport, and even Chief McManus’ home and family.

Through the prior investigation conducted by the San Antonio Regional Intelligence Center (SARIC) regarding earlier threats, it was determined that this person does not reside in Texas and lacks the immediate capability to carry out the threats he has made.

While we understand the need for San Antonio parents to feel their children are safe, we are confident that this person’s lack of immediate ability to carry these threats out has been established and still continues to be the case. We will continue to make all of our resources available to area school districts and police departments and we will continue to take all appropriate precautions.

 

Posted on May 1, 2014