NEISD Community unites in wake of fires
Many never think it could happen to them, but thousands of house fires occur every year, destroying prized possessions and in some circumstances, taking lives. Four apartment fires that occurred recently in a span of five weeks, affecting 16 families in North East ISD, have not gone unnoticed by the surrounding community.
This is apparent by the amount of donations pouring into NEISD’s McKinney-Vento Homeless Project. Led by Director of Family Support Services, Tyler Shoesmith, M.Ed., the program has raised $12,049 (including cash, checks and gift cards) to help out the NEISD families affected by the fires. One family alone, dropped off a $400 Wal-Mart gift card.
“The response has been very generous, especially when you look at the time period we live in, with regards to the economy,” said Shoesmith. “I think there are some families that want to give, they don’t know who to give it to, and they want to give it to an organization that doesn’t have any overhead,” said Shoesmith. “There’s no administrative cost when you donate to our program, it goes straight to the family – every cent.”
The sudden epidemic of fires in NEISD first ignited on Feb. 22 at the Coronado and Rayo del Sol apartments near Blanco Road. Fires at the Wood Hollow and Canlen West apartments followed shortly after on Feb. 25 and Mar. 3 respectively.
The latest fire occurred on Mar. 18 at the Fox Run Apartments not far from MacArthur High School and across the street from Regency Place Elementary School. While homes and possessions were destroyed in all of these fires, no lives were lost and our students remained safe. The district is grateful for this good fortune and for the generosity of its community members.
Last year, NEISD had more than 1,200 homeless children in the district. If you are interested in making a donation to the families affected by the recent fires or to the many families in need of simple necessities, please contact your school or the Family Support Services Department at (210) 407-0750.
This is a photo taken at the Wood Hollow Apartments after the fire was extinguished.
Posted on Mar. 26, 2013