NEISD announces open enrollment for pre-kindergarten
North East ISD will hold pre-kindergarten registration Aug. 4-13 at each elementary school. Parents may call their neighborhood elementary school for registration times. Additionally, the City of San Antonio and Family Service Association will operate 9 Head Start programs (below) within North East ISD.
“We will make classes for all students who are qualified, and there will be no waiting list,” said Linda Hamilton, Early Childhood Coordinator. “With Head Start and our pre-k programs, we will be able to offer multiple opportunities to serve families.”
NEISD’s half day pre-kindergarten program is available for children who meet the following criteria for enrollment:
• Child will be 4 years of age on or before September 1 of 2010; and
• Child is a resident of NEISD; and
• Child is current with required immunization on or before the first day of school; and
• Child meets at least one of the following requirements:
- Child is unable to speak and comprehend the English Language (Home Language Survey must be completed, child must be tested for English acquisition, child must qualify for the program); or
- Child is homeless, as defined by [42 USC 11302]; or
- Child is educationally disadvantaged (income eligible, food stamp eligible, foster child); or Reduced Lunch Program, food stamp (SNAP Food Benefits) eligible, TANF eligible); or
- Child meets the criteria for parent serving on active duty in the armed forces, including a child of a member who was hurt or killed on active duty; or
- Child is or has ever been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing. (in foster care, adopted after conservatorship, returned to parent after conservatorship).
When registering, parents are required to bring the following for all eligible students: updated immunization record, certified copy of birth certificate, social security card, proof of residency, and valid driver’s license of parent/guardian.
To qualify as educationally disadvantaged, parents must provide one of the following: a foster child written document, food stamp (SNAP) or TANF approval letter with case number, or proof of income eligibility dated no earlier than June 24.
To qualify as active duty in the armed forces, parents must provide one of the following: Department of Defense (DoD) photo ID, or copies of “Statement of Service” letter, Purple Heart orders or citation, Line of Duty Determination, “Missing in Action” documentation, Death Certificate on the appropriate DoD form.
Pre-kindergarten registration will continue to be accepted after Aug. 13. For more information on the NEISD pre-kindergarten program, visit http://www.neisd.net/curriculum/CurComp/ece/Pre-KindergartenInternet.htm.
The City of San Antonio and Family Service Association will operate the following Head Start centers within North East ISD:
Crestway 6925 Crestway
Ferrari 107 Rampart
George Gervin 6944 Sunbelt Dr.
Lost Creek 16352 Judson Rd.
Montgomery 6758 Montgomery
Northeast 618 Lanark
Rhapsody 212 Rhapsody
The Oaks 2738 Shingle Oak Dr.
Valley Forge 13134 Independence
For more information on Head Start, visit www.family-service.org.
Posted on July 28, 2010